I’m such a fan of the body positive movement. Feeling great in your own skin, just the way you are—isn’t that what you would want for your kids too?
You can get to a place where you love your body just the way it is, and there is a tribe of body positive instagrammers to help show you how. Keep reading to get the list and fill your feed with daily body positive inspiration.
After four kids, my body is definitely different. I’m so proud of the work my body has done. When I think about it, it’s pretty amazing. Yet why is it still so hard not to constantly judge my mom body and wish things were different?
Especially for new moms, pregnancy and postpartum body changes can be unexpected and alarming. Don’t let stress over lines or a saggy tummy put a damper on one of the most joyful times in life. See more tips for handling postpartum emotions.
A mom friend recently told me that the number on the scale in the morning can ruin her whole day. It’s like we’re constantly mapping our lives to that number.
Are you already fretting about swimsuit season in January? Does taking your kids for donuts fill you with worry rather than joy?
I can’t be the only mom who’s scared I’ll look back 20 or 30 years from now and wonder why I wasted so much energy worrying about something so pointless. I’m ready to get on with life and be thankful for everything my body provides.
Learn to Love Your Body
If you are looking to be inspired by some strong women who can help you feel great in your own skin, get started by following these awesome instagrammers (in no particular order).
Body Positive Instagrammers
- Level up your “momfidence” and learn to love your mom body; also check out the podcast
- Director of the Embrace body image documentary, which I also recommend
- Described as a “rebel community dismantling diet culture,” they’ll make you laugh and want to kick body shaming in the ass
- Eating disorder survivor fighting the diet culture and teaching you to love you
- Inspiring body liberator
- A #bodypositive dietician with great cartoons
- Powerful messages about loving your body
- #Bodypositive counselor sharing reminders to love your body
- Body confidence coach and author of Am I Ugly?
- Teaches yoga for all bodies with a body positive approach
- Plus size Singaporean Indian, intersectional feminist, psychotherapist, and introvert—what’s not to love?
- Spreading positive body inspiration
A Self-Love Commitment
I hope you’ll banish photoshopped images from your brain and learn to love your body with the help of these amazing women. Fill your feed with daily inspiration from women who are confident and proud in their wonderful human bodies of all shapes and sizes.
I don’t follow fitness gurus or models on social media (sorry not sorry), because it’s not helpful for me. I don’t want to be reminded of others on their weight loss journeys. I’m certainly happy for those women who are achieving their personal goals, and that’s why I’m choosing to focus on mine–loving my body right now with no changes needed.
Surround yourself with a mom tribe that values happiness over dress size. Keep it real online and in life. Feel good about you, because you are beautiful. Learn more about how to silence your inner critic.
Who inspires you to love yourself? What steps will you take to get closer to loving your body exactly as it is?